W. Edwards Deming, considered one of the preeminent thought leaders in modern management, emphasized that quality must be a resounding priority throughout any organization driven toward success. Quality affects reputation, profit, and sets the standard for associates at all levels. With a proper focus on quality, businesses can set themselves up to create constancy of purpose while maximizing process improvement.
Deming’s emphasis on quality over cost reduction runs counter to many popular practices. Deming explained that a primary focus on cost only manages the outcome of an issue – it does not address the root cause. Adhering to Deming’s 14 points on Quality Management, however, often brings about cost reduction as a natural result. The 14 points are as follows:
- Create constancy of purpose toward overall improvement.
- Adopt the new philosophy. Awaken challenges and take on leadership.
- Cease dependence on general inspections to achieve quality.
- Minimize total cost by moving toward a single supplier.
- Improve constantly and forever. Don’t stagnate; innovate.
- Institute training on the job. Credentials mean nothing without application. Encourage your workers to learn by doing – not from a generalized textbook.
- Institute leadership. Lead, don’t drive. Most issues don’t arise because of the workers – they arise because of the management. Be a leader, not a boss.
- Drive out fear.
- Break down barriers between departments. Drive home that every employee is a decision maker, and every decision affects the company.
- Eliminate slogans, exhortations and targets for the workforce.
- Eliminate numerical quotas for the workforce and numerical goals for management; substitute leadership.
- Remove barriers that rob people of pride of workmanship, and eliminate the annual rating or merit system.
- Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement.
- Put everybody in the company to work to accomplish the transformation.
Like Deming, Salient is focused on providing top quality products and services to our clients. By empowering every decision maker with precise and relevant information at the right time, Salient will help your company achieve transparent management, and the highest level of quality possible.